Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Restaurants that will be missed (Part 1)...

There was a great restaurant called Monsoon. It was a unique, fine and exotic restaurant. I never knew what happened to it, all I know was that one day I went to eat there and it was closed. I had thought maybe it was just a temporary closing but (I kept checking and) it never came back again. In its honor I will share what was so great about it and why it is missed.



Monsoon was a vietnamese restaurant that had the best dim sum ever. It was a cozy restaurant that had a large wood element to try to invoke vietnam. They had a ginger lemon grass tea that was sweet, gingery and very green. I always ordered the vegetarian (vegan) dimsum which made of vegetables and clear rice dough with two dipping sauces one peanut and the other a soy and rice vingegar sauce.



They also made a great grilled tofu with lemongrass which was delicate (not too lemongrassy) and slightly smokey. They did a really cool thing with the tofu they would thinly slice it and stuff it with a mixture of lemongrass, ginger, red pepper and soy sauce and then they would grill it. It was the first time I ever saw and tasted a tofu prepared this way. I have attempted to make this tofu at home but have yet to master their unique technique. I would go back to try to find their secret but they are gone forever, or so it seems.

If you got to eat at Monsoon you were a lucky person. For all that didn't don't worry I will try as many vietnamese restuarants as I can till I find one that is as good or even better, till then keep tasting =)

No comments: